November 27, 2018
While you’re making your holiday gift list, why not splurge a little on yourself as well? Seeing your dentist in Vienna for a cleaning and checkup, or for cosmetic work, will keep dental emergencies at bay while helping you to make the most of this festive season.
Why Keeping Dental Appointments Is so Important
Living within a budget is always a good idea, even during the holidays. But, while there are many ways to stretch a dollar, skipping dental care isn’t one of them. Here’s why:
- Your teeth and gums do more than help you to digest. They act as your first line of defense against infection. Cavities and other oral health problems are like chinks in your body’s armor. Sooner or later, the enemy (in this case, harmful bacteria) will find its way in.
- Toothaches and other dental conditions have a habit of hitting you at the worst possible times, like in the middle of a holiday vacation. Why risk ruining your fun when a dental appointment only takes an hour or two?
- Not all oral health issues are as simple as a toothache. Diabetes, nutritional deficiencies, and even certain forms of cancer can make their first appearance as dental -related symptoms. Knowing about these conditions sooner rather than later is critical to your well-being. This in turn requires a comprehensive oral examination performed by a skilled dentist.
This Season, Why Not Treat Yourself to a Restored Smile?
Seeing your Vienna dentist for a basic checkup and cleaning is always smart. But, this holiday season, why not treat yourself to a little cosmetic work? There’s nothing like an enhanced smile to make the season a little brighter. Here are some of the more common restorative options:
- Professional teeth whitening can erase stains and discolorations that have built up over the year, giving your pearly whites renewed luster.
- Porcelain veneers are like a facelift for your mouth. They provide dramatic results in as little as one treatment.
- Crowns are a special type of restoration that offers both practical and aesthetic benefits. The dentist files and shapes the distressed tooth to receive the appliance, which is held in place by a special medical-grade dental adhesive. A properly placed crown can last for up to 30 years.
- A bridge is used to restore the functionality lost when a tooth is missing. The dentist joins the appliance to a healthy tooth on either side of the gap, enabling the patient to speak, eat, and perform other common tasks.
- Implants are the closest possible thing to a fully restored natural tooth. An implant fuses with the surrounding bone through a process known as osseointegration. implants can last from 10 years to a lifetime with reasonable care.
Dental care is one of the best investments you can make. So take time to see your dentist during this holiday season. Come the new year, you’ll have plenty of reasons to smile.
About the Author
Dr. Hisham Barakat has been practicing dentistry for nearly 20 years. A skilled general dentist, he is also receive advanced training in dental implants and other aspects of restorative care. You can reach his office online or by calling (703) 651-2315.
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.