April 16, 2017
When you were a teenager, your dentist cut corners and didn’t use enough anesthetic when addressing a complex cavity you had, and you’ll never forget the pain, the shrill sound of the drill, or his lack of compassion. Because of this traumatic experience, you now have a phobia of the dentist, and you avoid seeing your oral health care professional like you should. You take good care of your teeth at home, but you know this is no substitute for an exam and cleaning, but the thought of seeing any dentist makes you break out in a cold sweat. How can you preserve your smile without compromising your mental health? With sedation dentistry in Vienna, we can help you get the relaxing experience you deserve. Find out more about dental anxiety and how The team at Vienna Smiles treat it in this post.
What Is Dental Anxiety?
Dental anxiety is a remarkably common condition – it affects about 15% of the population. That means, at least one out of every six people you meet has some level of apprehension about the dentist, and even tough athletes like LeBron James deal with this common malady. There are two levels of this condition:
- Dental Anxiety – This is a general fear of dental care that can cause stress, worry, and even panic attacks. People with dental anxiety will usually go to the dentist, just not as often as they should, and will experience uneasiness when undergoing treatment.
- Dental Phobia – As an escalated degree of dental anxiety, phobias are often based on irrational fears. These concerns are very real for many people, even if their worries are unreasonable. Patients with dental phobias will avoid dental care at all costs – enduring advanced gum disease, broken teeth, and even tooth loss, rather than stepping into the office.
As your premier sedation dentist in Vienna, Dr. Hisham Barakat and Dr. Jennifer Bobbio understand your fears and phobias, and use their compassionate approach to treat nervous patients before they have more complex dental problems – aside from their anxiety – to worry about.
What Sedation Dentistry Methods Do You Offer?
- Inhalation Sedation – Nitrous Oxide or “laughing gas,” is a sweet tasting gas that you’ll receive through an inhaler placed over the nose. Simply breathe in, and let the medication relax you. This is a great method since it takes effect within seconds, and wears of quickly once stopped. You’ll have no “hangover” effect and be able to drive to and from appointments.
- Oral Sedation – In this method, patients take a small pill by mouth before they come to the office for their appointment, and then another small dose once they arrive. You’ll need to arrange for transportation, and should schedule your appointment in the afternoon – you should relax as the medication wears off throughout the day. You can go back to work or school the next morning with no issue.
- IV Sedation – With this option, we give sedative medications to our patients intravenously. You’ll can be in a “twilight” state or completely asleep – either way, we’ll keep you safe. Since this method uses general anesthesia, you’ll need someone to drive you to and from your appointment, and to keep an eye on you at home as you recover.
Now that you know what sedation dentistry is, and how it can help you get the dental care you deserve, schedule your appointment with Vienna Smiles today!
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.